When young men respect the message of their peers, something powerful happens and we call it positive life change. For 9 minutes, Eddie talked about anger to his peers. He read Bible verses from his smart phone. Here's a couple of pieces of wisdom for people of any age; Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverb 15:18 "A hot temper stirs up conflict, but the one who is patient calms a quarrel." A 9MD is a 9 minute Life Direction/Devotion that gives some practical life wisdom to young men. Each Thursday at BWAP, 40-50 inner-city young men between the ages of 18-30 play ball hear a 9MD and eat a home-style meal as we build life-changing relationships.
Anger wells up in all of us sometimes and can be positive or negative. We find that young men who grow up without a father carry lots of anger and they don't know why. Feeling an emptiness and longing for a father's love that's never been experienced, they fill the void with anger. We know that expressing the Father's love through our actions of patience helps young men release their anger through God's love.
Patience is something that we all need but few understand what it is until we get a few years into our adulthood. AT YWAP we expect that to need patience as young men grow into maturity and patience through our programs. God gives liberally to those who ask and we have patience! Young men like Eddie Lewis help demonstrate what patience is. He's 24 yrs. old and comes to Buffalo from Alabama. Eddie has worked with the YWAP Team as a YWAP Coach/Mentor in a Buffalo School. Building relationships with over 50 middle school students, those young people grew in respect for Eddie and each other. Eddie also works a full time job, is a dad and goes to a Bible study each week. We believe Eddie represents the "new-normal" for inner-city young men 18-30 yrs. old. Eddie Lewis gave a great message filled with wisdom for a healthy life. Thanks for who you are Eddie, Jesus loves you and so do we. #JLYASDW
1. ADOPT A BWAP DINNER - Each Thursday Night at Expressway Assembly we serve a Meal for BWAP. This is an excellent way for your church, youth group or community group to serve some young men from the inner-city. You bring the food and use our kitchen to prepare the food. Our numbers vary between 20 - 40 people each Thursday night.
2. BWAP Adoption - For only $5 per week, you can sponsor a young person from the inner-city between the ages of 18-30 yrs. old. For every $5, a young guy gets over 2 hrs of physical exercise through basketball, a 9MD (9 Minute Life Direction) and a home-style meal. We are a mentoring organization and everything we do is designed to create a more beneficial relationship. We help guys with their education, employment, community service, safe place to live and a relationship with God. Some guys also receive transportation to and from BWAP.
3. 9MD Speaker - If you have some wisdom to pass along to young guys then we would be happy to discuss how you might do that. You would come on a Thursday night and speak for 9 minutes. After your 9 minutes are up, you are welcome to form relationships with the guys as they eat an awesome meal.
1. Media Newscaster
2. 9MD Speaker Coordinator
3. Kitchen Coordinator
4. After School Coaches
7. Good Neighbor Philanthropy.
8. Grill & A Prayer Volunteer.
Thanks for your time. Go and do something nice for somebody.
Youth With A Purpose Inc.
157 Locust Street
Buffalo, New York 14204
We do appreciate and need your financial help.
You can write a check to YWAP, we are a non-profit 501c3.
Our online BWAP donation site may be found at: