The kids requested water balloons. The folks who take care of the kids asked for fresh fruits and vegetables. There's always the unspoken desire to bring the Bouncy House. All of those desires are simple and easy to fulfill, but it wasn't any worldly item that brought fulfillment. The desire to serve was met by a powerful surge of smiling gratitude and laughing children.
Guys from the Sunshine Rescue Mission bring their generous hearts to the NAOMI House on the last Saturday of every month. They look forward to it. Last week there was only three of us, but there's no way way to count the number of satisfied smiles on the NAOMI property. Danny and Edwin are "Extra-Mile" guys. They always go beyond what's necessary. They enlarge the smiles on kids faces.
- With their own money they buy what's needed.
- They plan and set goals.
- They wash and clean the grill.
- Load, unload and set up the Bouncy House.
- Make fruit salads.
- Donated the grill (with the help of Danny's Mom!)
- Grilled brats - bratwurst :-)
- Bought and filled tons of water balloons.
- They got soaked by kids with big water guns!
- Sat down and shared a meal with a lot of kids.
- Sometimes they do service projects.
- The greatest thing they do is form relationships with kids and make them feel loved and valued.
Here's a few comments from guys who've served at NAOMI over the last year and a half. We hope these words will serve as a light to other men and women looking for ways to feel fulfillment in their lives.
- "Really enjoyed Naomi and can't wait to go back and paint."
- "Thx! I had a blast! Today brought PEACE back in my heart and soul! Those kids hold a special place in my heart and I pray for them often. Thank you, Pastor Bob."
- "They probably won't ever remember me, but it's a good thought and I always remember them. They did a better work to me and what I did in them. I was blessed to be a part of that and extremely privileged."
- "This will make my month believe it or not, it just does something for me."
- "Yes sir it is good, glad the guys came. A little bit of volunteer work makes for a good and happy soul. And are excited about coming again."
The hallmark of success in a mentoring program is the ability to build healthy and sustainable relationships. We do that at SRM through our Mentoring Class. We teach Biblical knowledge as a Mentoring Application Tool. Please pray that we can continue to reach new men who come into the program and give them life changing opportunities like NAOMI.
Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody. Jesus loves you and so do we.